Publications, Conference Papers and Seminars Given by Academic Members (2014-2015)
- Ali, S and Kabau, T. (2015) A Human Rights Based Approach to the Global Regulation of Humanitarian Relief: The Emerging Obligation to Incorporate Local Participation, BROOKLYN JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL LAW
- Ali, S. (2015) Asian Disasters, Global Impact: Japan’s Fukushima Disaster and Prospects of Utilizing Investor-State Mediation and UNCITRAL Transparency Rules for Polycentric Environmental Disaster-Related Disputes, ASIAN DISPUTE REVIEW
- Ali, S. (2015) Toward Peer Presence in Post-Disaster Governance: An Empirical Study, HASTINGS INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE LAW REVIEW
- Ali, S and Kabau, T. (2014) Non-State Actors and the Evolution of Humanitarian Norms: Implications of the Sphere Charter in Health and Nutrition Relief, JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LEGAL STUDIES, Brill/Nijhoff.
- Ali, S (2014). Crowd Sourced Governance in a Post Disaster Context, INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE LAW QUARTERLY, Cambridge University Press.
- Ali, S. and Kabau, T. (2014). Self Governance by Humanitarian Non-State Actors in Health and Nutrition Relief, DEPAUL JOURNAL OF HEALTH LAW.
- Ali S., Examining Dynamics of Community Participation in Global North and South, Law and Society Association Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, USA . 2015.
- Ali S., Hong Kong’s Position as an ADR Centre, Asia Pacific ADR Summit, Hong Kong. 2015.
- Ali S., Overcoming Barriers to Mediation, ABA Asia Pacific Mediation Summit, New Delhi, India. 2015.
- Ali S., Seeking Governance Solutions in Global-Local Post-Disaster ADR, ABA Section on Dispute Resolution – Spring Conference, Seattle, WA, USA . 2015.
- Ali S., Transforming Disaster Response Initiative Through Collective Access, Participation, Generation, Application and Diffusion of Knowledge: Three Case Studies,, Advancing the Life of the Mind, ABS, Orange County, CA, USA. 2015.
- Ali S., Transnational Governance Workshop, Kings College London, London, England. 2015.
- Ali S., China’s Concept of Common Destiny of Humankind, Chinese Law Group, HKU (Putonghua). 2015.
CHEN, Albert H.Y.
- Chen A.H.Y., Hong Kong’s Explorations in the Rule of Law Under One Country Two Systems (2nd ed). Hong Kong, Chung Hwa Bookstore, 2014, xiii + 362 pp.
- Chen A.H.Y., The World of Constitutional Jurisprudence. Beijing, Chinese University of Politics and Law Press, 2014, iii +403 pp.
- Chen A.H.Y., “On constitutionalism”, In: Lin Yu-sheung (林毓生) (ed), Basic Concepts of Civil Society, vol. 1. Taipei, Centre of Humanities and Social Sciences, Academia Sinica, 2014, 1-25.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Religions, Religious Conflicts and the Peaceful Co-existence of Religions: Insights from Tang Junyi’s Philosophy”, In: Zheng Zongyi (ed), New Directions of Research in Chinese Philosophy. Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong Press, 2014, 343-353.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Western constitutionalism in Southeast Asia: Some historical and comparative observations”, In: Dirk Ehlers, Henning Glaser and Kittisak Prokati (eds), Constitutionalism and Good Governance: Eastern and Western Perspectives. Baden-Baden, Nomos, 2014, 63-80.
- Chen A.H.Y., “ ‘A stroke of genius’ in Kong Yunming”, Hong Kong Law Journal. 2014, 44: 7-24.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Several Legal and Political Issues relating to the Second Round of Consultation on the Model for the Election of the Chief Executive of the HKSAR by Universal Suffrage”, Hong Kong and Macau Affairs. 2015, 20: 32-41.
- Chen A.H.Y., “The Discourse of Political Constitutionalism in Contemporary China”, China Review. 2014, 14(2): 183-214.
- Chen A.H.Y., “The law and politics of constitutional reform and democratization in Hong Kong”, Conference on Chinese Law, Sydney University, 2-3 October 2014.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Constitutional controversies in the history of the HKSAR”,, Conference on the 25th Anniversary of the Hong Kong Basic Law, City University of Hong Kong, 11 April 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Constitutions and Constitutionalism in East Asia”, East Asian Conference on Philosophy of Law, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul, 21-22 August 2014 . 2014.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Issues in the Current Constitutional Reform”,, Conference on Political Reform, City University of Hong Kong, 14 Feb 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Political Confucianism in China”,, Workshop on Confucian Constitutionalism, City University of Hong Kong, 23 Jan 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Social Welfare, Constitutional Rights and the Law in the People’s Republic of China”,, Conference on “Understanding Southern Welfare – the BRICS Countries, Center for Interdisciplinary Research, Bielefeld University, Germany, 24-26 Nov 2014.
- Chen A.H.Y., Associate Editor, Hong Kong Law Journal. 2014.
- Chen A.H.Y., “China’s Long March Toward Rule of Law?”,, lecture at the Faculty of Law, Sydney University, 2 October 2014.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Confucianism and Human Rights”, lecture at the Human Rights Center, Seoul National University, Seoul, 12 January 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Constitutional Reform in Hong Kong: Theoretical and Practical Issues”, talk at the Hong Kong Political Science Association, 5 February 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “Human Rights and Constitutional Law in East and Southeast Asia”, lecture at the Human Rights Center, Seoul National University, Seoul, 14 January 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “The Basic Law and Constitutional Development in the HKSAR”, lecture at Shenzhen University, 8 May 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “The Case Law of the Hong Kong Basic Law”, lecture at the Civil Service Training and Development Institute, 24 June 2015.
- Chen A.H.Y., “The ‘Umbrella Movement’ and the Struggle for Democracy in Hong Kong”, lecture at Kumamoto University, Japan, 4 June 2015.
- Yongxi Chen. “Freedom of Information in China? The Paradox of Access to Information in a Closed Regime”, in John Mair and Tom Felle Eds. FOI 10 Years on: Freedom Fighting or Lazy Journalism? (UK: Abramis Academic Publishing, 2015) 272-278.
- Yongxi Chen, “Social Stability and Freedom of Information in China: Public Interest Balancing, Judicial Review and Beyond”, paper selected for presentation at The 4th Global Conference on Transparency Research (Lugano, Switzerland, 4-6 June 2015).
- Yongxi Chen, “Real Name Registration of Chinese Internet Users: Imbalance between Personal Data Protection and Surveillance”, at The Symposium on Privacy in Greater China (The University of Hong Kong, 28 November 2014).
- Yongxi Chen, “Journalistic Exercise of Freedom of Information in China: A Socio-legal Review of the Implementation and Enforcement of Transparency Laws,” paper selected for presentation at the 9th Annual General Conference of the European China Law Studies Association (Hong Kong, 15-16 November 2014).
- Yongxi Chen, “Selective Transparency: Redefining the Right of Access to Information by Chinese Courts (2008-2013),” paper selected for presentation at the New European Research on contemporary China Conference, 2nd Edition (Beijing, 2-4 July, 2014).
- Yongxi Chen, “The Looming Mega-Integration of Online and Offline IDs in China: Paradoxical Legal Basis and Potential Remedies”, speech given at the Citizen Lab Summer Institute 2015 (University of Toronto, 24-26 June 2015).
- Yongxi Chen, “Governmental Policies on FOI and Privacy in China,” presented at The Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations Asia Conference, Seminar, Panel on Technology (Keio University, Tokyo, 22-26 August 2014).
- Cullen R. W., “Land Revenue and the Chinese Dream – Part 1”, (2014) July, 2014, China Policy Review (Journal of Development Research Centre, State Council, Beijing) (in Chinese – translated by the CPR (recognized by the CPR as one of the “Top 20 Economic Essays of 2014″)).
- Cullen R. W., “Land Revenue and the Chinese Dream – Part 2”, (2014) August, 2014, China Policy Review (Journal of Development Research Centre, State Council, Beijing) (in Chinese – translated by CPR (recognized by the CPR as one of the “Top 20 Economic Essays of 2014″)).
- Cullen R. W., “Hong Kong’s Remarkable Land Revenue Regime” (2014) 14, Asian Business Lawyer, 193.
- Qiu D.D. Cullen R. W., “The Rule of Law in Chinese Tax Legislation: Some Remarkable Changes Under the Revised Legislation Law”, HKU Legal Scholarship Blog, March 17, 2015.
- Cullen R. W., “Magna Carta – 800 Years on: A Sino-Euro Reflection”, HKU Legal Scholarship Blog, June 7, 2015.
- Cullen R. W., Editor (Co-Editor), Australian Journal of Asian Law (University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia).
- Fry J.D., Attribution of Responsibility, In: André Nollkaemper & Ilias Plakokefalos eds., Principles of Shared Responsibility in International Law: An Appraisal of the State of the Art. Cambridge University Press, 2014, 99-135.
- Fry J.D. and Repousis O., Intertemporality and International Investment Arbitration: Protecting the Jurisdiction of Established Tribunals, Arbitration International. Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press, 2015, 31: 213-259.
- Fry J.D. and Loja S.M.H., The Roots of Historic Title: Non-Western Pre-Colonial Normative Systems and Legal Resolution of Territorial Disputes, Leiden Journal of International Law. Leiden, Cambridge University Press, 2014, 27: 727-754.
- Fry J.D., Towards an International Piracy Tribunal: The Cure to the Legal Limbo of Captured Pirates, African Journal of International and Comparative Law. University of Edinburgh Press, 2014, 22: 335-367. http://dx.doi.org/10.3366/ajicl.2014.0098
- Fry J.D. and Repousis O., From the UNCITRAL Rules to Mauritius Convention: Review, Treaty Interpretation and Comparison, UNCITRAL-University of Macau Conference; Conference Title: Trade Development through the Harmonization of Commercial Law. 2014.
- Fry J.D. and Loja S.M.H., The Roots of Historic Title: Non-Western Pre-Colonial Normative Systems and Legal Resolution of Territorial Disputes, 3rd Tsinghua-University of Toronto Law Faculty Conference, in Toronto, Canada; Conference Title: Perspectives on International Law. 2014.
- Fu H., Mediation And The Rule Of Law: The Chinese Landscape , In: Joachim Zekoll, Moritz Balz and Iwo Amelung, Formalization And Flexibilisation In Dispute Resolution . Leiden, Brill, 2014, 108-129.
- Gu Weixia (2014), “The Delicate Art of Med-Arb and Its Future Institutionalization in China”, 31(2) UCLA Pacific Basin Law Journal, pp. 97-126.
- Gu W., Courts in China: Judiciary in the Economic and Societal Transitions, In: Jiunn-rong Yeh and Wen-chen Chang, Asian Courts in Context. Cambridge, UK, Cambridge University Press, 2014, 487-527.
- Gu W., People’s Republic of China, In: Michael J. Moser, Arbitration in Asia (2nd ed). New York, USA, Juris Publishing, 2014, 1-52.
- Gu W., Responsive Justice in China during Transitional Times: Revisiting the Juggling Path between Adjudicatory and Mediatory Justice, Washington University Global Studies Law Review. St. Louis, USA, Washington University, 2014, 14: 49-85.
- Gu W., The Delicate Art of Med-Arb and Its Future Institutionalization in China, UCLA Pacific Basin Law Journal. Los Angeles, USA, UCLA, 2014, 31: 97-126.
- Gu W., Public Policy and Harmonization in International Commercial Arbitration: A Real Occurence or an Illusion?, The Society of Legal Scholars (SLS) 2014 Conference (University of Nottingham, United Kingdom). Nottingham, UK, 2014.
- Gu W., Responsive Justice in China during Transitional Times: Revisiting the Juggling Path between Adjudicatory and Mediatory Justice, Ninth Annual Conference of European China Law Studies Association. CUHK, Hong Kong, 2014.
- Li Y., “The Boundary of Intellectual Property and Balance of Interest,” , Research on Rule of Law. China, 2014, Vol. 94, No. 10: 28-37.
- Li Y., Reconstructing Copyright to Promote Creativity in Internet Era, In: International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual property, 33rd Annual Conference of the International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual property (ATRIP). 2014.
- Li Y., “Alice v. CLS Bank: The Implications to the Future of Software Patenting,”, PKU-Stanford-Oxford Internet Law and Public Policy Conference. 2014.
- Li Y., “PRC Patent Reform: Prioritizing Innovation,”, In: HKU and HKIPD, HKU-HKIPD IP Forum 2015.
- Li Y., “Perspectives of Reform to Copyright Law under the Challenges of New Media,”, 6th Annual Conference on Cross-Strait Copyright Law Studies. 2014.
- Li Y., “Public Health and Drug Patenting”, In: University of Toronto, International Law-Themed Conference. 2014.
- Li Y., “The Pros and Cons of Establishing IP Court in China,” , In: PKU and HKU, 2014 PKU-HKU Annual Conference. 2014.
- Li Y., “Foreign IP Courts and Their Lessons to IP Court in China,” , Xiamen International Students’ IP Winter Camp, Xiamen University School of Intellectual Property. 2014.
- Li Y., “PRC Intellectual Property Law”, Hong Kong Academy of Law CPD Course . 2014.
NG Hoi Kit Michael
- Ng H.K.M., Dirt of whitewashing: re-conceptualising debtors’ obligations in Chinese business by transplanting bankruptcy law to early British Hong Kong (1860s–1880s), Business History (ARC journal ranking: A). 2015, 1-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00076791.2015.1025762
- Ng H.K.M. and Chow W.S., Legal Education without the Law – Lay Clients as Teachers and Assessors in Communication Skills in Hong Kong , The Society of Legal Scholars . 2014.
- Ng H.K.M., Transplanting indigenous legal practices to a transplanted legal system? An archival study of Beijing criminal court in early Republican China (1910s), Asian Law Centre Seminar, Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne. 2014.
- Qiao S., Small Property, Adverse Possession, and Optional Law, In: Yun-chien Chang , Law and Economics of Possession. Cambridge University Press, 2015, 290-319.
- Qiao S., Planting Houses in Shenzhen: A Real Estate Market without Legal Titles, Canadian Journal of Law and Society. Cambridge University Press, 2014, 29: 253-272. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/cls.2013.58
- Qiao S., Small Property, Big Market: A Focal Point Explanation, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF COMPARATIVE LAW. American Society of Comparative Law, 2015, 63: 197-238. http://dx.doi.org/10.5131/AJCL.2015.0006
- Qiao S., Creating A TDRs Market: A Key to Chinese Land Reform?, PKU-HKU Law Annual Conference. Peking University School of Law, 2014.
- Qiao S. and Upham F., Relational Property: A Network Story of Chinese Small Property, Symposium: Spontaneous Order and Emergence of New Systems of Property. New York University School of Law, 2014.
- Qiao S., Small Property, Big Market: A Focal Point Explanation, 25th Annual Meeting of the American Law and Economics Association. Columbia Law School, 2015.
- Qiu D.D., Legal Interpretation of Tax Law: China, Legal Interpretation of Tax Law. Wolters Kluwer, 2014.
- Qiu D.D., Collecting Unpaid Tax Offshore: Caribbean Tax Havens and Foreign Direct Investment in China, Bulletin of International Taxation. IBFD, 2014, 12.
- Qiu D.D., Interpretation of Tax Law in China: Moving Towards the Rule of Law?, Hong Kong Law Journal. 2014, 44(2).
- Qiu D.D., Uncertainty and Possibilities in Taxation of Australian Investment in China: Profit Distributions and Payments to Group Members, Australian Tax Forum. Renee McDonald, 2014, Vol. 29.
- Sun H., Anti-Dilution Protection of Luxury Brands in the Global Economy, In: Daniel J. Gervais , Research Handbook on International Intellectual Property Law . Edward Elgar, 2015, 407-432.
- Sun H., The Diversity of Interests in the Trademark Protection of Luxury Brands, In: Irene Calboli and Srividhya Ragavan, Diversity in Intellectual Property Law. Cambridge University Press, 2015, 426- 449.
- Yu G., Path Dependence: Implications for Legal Transplantation, Second International Conference on Interdisciplinary Legal Studies held at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada on June 9-10. 2015.
- Zhao Y., National Space Law: An Overview of the Current Situation and Outlook for the Future. Leiden, Brill/Nijhoff, 2015.
- Zhao Y., Application of International Cooperation Principles in Outer Space Activities: Forms and Entities, In: Jingquan Wang, Space International. Beijing, 2015, 433: 36-39.
- Zhao Y., Commercial Arbitration in China for US-China Trade Disputes, Conference on Trade Disputes Involving the United States and China. New York, 2015.
- hao Y., Domain Name Dispute Resolution and Its Future Development, UK-China Comparative Public Law Symposium. Jinan, Shandong, 2015.
- Zhao Y., IP Management for Young Entrepreneurs, University-run Enterprises in Mainland China, Youth Entrepreneurship Development Institute. Hong Kong, 2015.
- Zhao Y., Legal Aspects of Commercial Space Activities in China, Legal Development in UNCOPUOS and Space Business, Kobe University Symposium on Space Law. Japan, 2015.
- Zhao Y., Online Privacy Protection in China: Present and Future, Symposium on Privacy in Greater China. Hong Kong, 2014.
- Zhao Y., Oral Advocacy in Arbitration, Pre-Mooting Conference. Japan, 2015.
- Zhao Y., Professionalization and Institutionalization of Mediation in China, ECLS 2014 Annual Conference: Making, Enforcing and Assessing the Law. Hong Kong, 2014.
- Zhao Y., Resolving Telecommunications Interconnection Disputes in China, Relevant Policy and Legal Issues in Space Commercialization Seminar. Beijing, 2014.
- Zhao Y., Rule of Law in Space Activities, PKU-HKU Annual Conference 2014. Beijing.
- Zhao Y., Space Protocol and Its Implications to the Development of Space Legislation, International Law Conference on “the Promotion of the Cape Town Convention in China”. Macau, 2015.
- Zhao Y., The Role of Bilateral and Multilateral Agreements in International Space Cooperation, United Nations/China/APSCO Workshop on Space Law. Beijing, 2014.
Editorship/ Other Outputs:
- Zhao Y., Arbitration and Becoming an Arbitrator in China—Case Study on the Application of Administrative Arbitration for Domain Name Disputes, Cologne, Germany, 2014.
- Zhao Y., China and WTO Review, Korea, 2015.
- Zhao Y., Cyber Law in Hong Kong and Mainland China & Its Relation to the Regulation of Encryption Standards, Industry, and Misuse, University of Jakarta, 2014.
- Zhao Y., Dispute Resolution and Mediation in China, Lanzhou, 2015.
- Zhao Y., Hong Kong Law Journal. 2015.
- Zhao Y., Journal of Law, Ethics and IP. 2015.
- Zhao Y., Space Commercialization and the Development of Space Law, Peking University, 2014.
- Zhao Y., Space Law Review. 2015.
- Zhao Y., Space Law and its Current Development, Fudan University, Shanghai, 2014.
- Zhao Y., Space Protocol and Its Implications to Space Legislation, China Civil Aviaition University,Tianjin, 2015.