Dr. Shahla Ali
Assistant Professor of Law
BA (Stanford), MA (Landegg), JD (UC Berkeley), PhD (UC Berkeley)
Member, State Bar of California / Accredited Mediator (HKMC) /
Public Arbitrator (FINRA)
Email | SSRN
- Ali, S. (2013). Consumer Financial Dispute Resolution in a Comparative Context: Principles, Systems and Practice(Cambridge University Press)
- Ginsburg, T. & Ali, S. (2013) International Commercial Arbitration in Asia, 3rd Edition (Juris Publishers).
- Ali, S. (2010). Resolving Disputes in the Asia Pacific: International Mediation and Arbitration in East Asia and the West (Routledge).
Refereed Journal Articles(located at SSRN)
- Ali, S. and Huang, H. R. (2012). Financial Dispute Resolution in China: Arbitration or Court Litigation? Arbitration International.
- Ali, S. and DaRoza, A. (2012). Alternative Dispute Resolution Design in Financial Markets – Some More Equal than Others: Hong Kong’s Proposed Financial Dispute Resolution Centre in the Context of Experience in the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia and Singapore, Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal.
- Huang, H.R., and Ali, S. (2012). Governing Financial Disputes in China: What Have we Learned from the Global Financial Crisis of 2008? East Asia Law Review.
- Ali, S. and Mak, S.P. (2012). Exploring Effective Financial Dispute Resolution Design Models through a Learning Orientation; Experiences from East Asia, Beijing Arbitration Quarterly.
- Noguchi, L. & Ali, S. (2011). Women, Decision Making and Sustainability: Exploring the Experience of the Badi Foundation in China, Hastings Women’s Law Journal.
- Ali, S. & Lee, F. (2011). Resolving Financial Disputes in the Context of Australian and Canadian Civil Justice Reforms, Australian Dispute Resolution Journal.
- Ali, S. & Lee, F. (2011). Lessons Learned From a Comparative Examination of Global Civil Justice Reforms, International Journal of Law and Management.
- Ali, S. & Wang, J. K. (2011). After Lehman: International Response to Financial Disputes – A Focus on Hong Kong, Richmond Journal of Global Law and Business.
- Ali, S. (2011). Financial Governance in the Context of Globalization, Soochow Law Journal.
- Ali, S., Davis, W. E. & Lee, J. (2010). Multi-Stakeholder Dispute Resolution: Building Social Capital Through Access to Justice at the Community Level, Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal.
- Ali, S. (2010). The Morality of Conciliation: An Empirical Examination of Arbitrator Role Moralities in East Asia and the West, Harvard Negotiation Law Review.
- Ali. S. (2010). Measuring Success in Devolved Collaboration, Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law.
- Ali, S. (2010). Barricades and Checkered Flags: Examining Perceptions of the Roadblocks and Facilitators of Settlement among Arbitration Practitioners in East Asia and the West, Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal.
- Ali, S. (2009). Approaching the Global Arbitration Table: Comparing the Advantages of Arbitration as Seen by Practitioners in East Asia and the West, The Review of Litigation.
- Ali, S., Davis, B. & Katbeh, L. (2005). Developing Commercial Dispute Resolution Centers in the West Bank/Gaza, Dispute Resolution Journal.
Invited Book Chapters
- Delicado, N., Falcao, H., Deason, E., Press, S., Ali, S., Blanchot, E., Chamoun-Nicolas, H. (2012). Assessing Negotiation Competitionsin Assessing Our Students: Assessing Ourselves (Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series, Vol. 3) (DRI Press)
- Ali, S., Kang R., Emery A., Ta-Wei, C., and Matz, D. (forthcoming) Innovations and Pitfalls in Chinese ADR Pedagogy: Experiences from the Field in Educating Negotiators for a Connected World (Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series, Vol. 4) (DRI Press)
- Ali, S. (2010). The Arbitrators Perspective: Cultural Issues in International Arbitrationin International Arbitration Practice in the 21st Century, (Lexis Nexis)
- Ali, S. (2008). Negotiation Preparation in Peace Process Negotiations Briefing Book, (Public International Law and Policy Group/USAID)
- Ali, S. (2003). Foreign Service Act in Major Acts of Congress, (Macmillan)
- Ali, S. (2003). International Education and Exchange Act in Major Acts of Congress, (Macmillan)
- Ali, S. (1998, 2001). Global Crime, Global Enforcement: A Case for International Legal Jurisdiction over Acts of Terrorism in Terrorism: The Global Perspective (ed. A.S. Narang and P. Srivastava, New Delhi: Kanishka)
Book Reviews, Policy Papers and Other Publications
- Ali, S., (2012) Globalization and Financial Dispute Resolution: Examining Areas of Convergence and Informed Divergence in Financial ADR (January 11, 2012). Asian Society of International Law (AsianSIL) 3rd Young Scholars Workshop.
- Ali, S., (2011) Facilitating Settlement at the Arbitration Table: Comparing Views on Settlement Practice Among Arbitration Practitioners in East Asia and the West. Onati Socio-Legal Series, Vol. 1, No. 6.
- Ali, S. (2007). Book Review: The Culture of Flushing: A Social and Legal History of Sewage by Jamie Benidickson, Law and Politics Book Review.
- Ali, S. (2007). The International Negotiations Handbook: Success through Preparation, Strategy and Planning. (Baket & McKenzie and the Public International Law and Policy Group). (Contributor).
- Ali, S. (2006). Review of Elazar Barkan and Alexander Karn’s Taking Wrongs Seriously: Apologies and Reconciliation, Law and Politics Book Review.
- Ali, S. (2004). Research Review: Overcoming the Roots of Prejudice and Inequality, Center for the Development of Peace and WEllbeing (CDPW Research, UC Berkeley).
- Ali, S. (2001). 张文显主编，《法律学》北京：高等教育出版社， 1999 （2001重印 全国高等学校法学专业和新课程教材 (Zhang Wen Xian, Jurisprudence, Beijing Higher Education Press, 1999 (2001) Sections on: Legal Research & Legal Education; The Nature of Law; The Forms and Validity of Law; The Principles of Law; The Nature of Rights; The Rule of Law and the State Ruled by Law; The Spirit of the Rule of Law. )