Dr Li Yahong 李亞虹
Email | Research Profile
Scholarly books, monographs and chapters
Research books or monographs:
- “China,” in Lionel Bently (ed.), International Copyright Law and Practice (LexisNexis, 2015 onward), 120 pages.
- Imitation to Innovation in China: the Role of Patent in Biotechnology andPharmaceutical Industries (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, Northampton, MA, USA, 2010).
- International and Comparative Intellectual Property: Law, Policy and Practice, bilingual edition (LexisNexis Butterworth, Hong Kong, Singapore, 2005).
- Butterworths Hong Kong Patents Handbook, 2nd edition (LexisNexis, Hong Kong, 2011).
- Annotations to Patent Ordinance (Cap 514), Reissue (LexisNexis Butterworth, 2010).
- “Patents”, in Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong, Volume 15(2), Reissue (LexisNexis Butterworth, 2010).
- “Plant Varieties Rights”, in Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong, Volume 15(3), Reissues (LexisNexis Butterworth, 2005 and 2010).
- American Torts Law (in Chinese) (Law Press, Beijing, 1998).
Editorship in Books and Journals
- Patent and Innovation in China and Hong Kong: Two Systems in One Country Compared (Cambridge University Press, 2017 forthcoming)
- Copyright, the Internet and the Balance of Rights (in Chinese) (HKU Press, 2016)
- Special Issue on Intellectual Property Law, Journal of Legal and Economic Studies (in Chinese), 2012, Vol. 13.
- General Principles of Hong Kong Law (in Chinese) (co-ed.) (Hong Kong: Joint Publishing Ltd, 1999 edition).
- Member of Editorial Board, Modern China Studies, June 1997 to present.
- Chinese law editor, Hong Kong Law Journal, 1999 – 2003, 2017 - present
- Chief Editor: American Law Series (in Chinese) including the following books:
- American Torts Law (author) (Beijing: Law Press, 1998)
- American Criminal Adjudicative System (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 1999)
- American Company Law (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 1999)
- American Contract Case Law (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 1999)
- American Bankruptcy Law (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 1999)
- American Property Law (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 1999)
- American Securities Law (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 2000)
- American Banking Law (ed.) (Beijing: Law Press, 2000)
Chapters in edited books:
- “Introduction: Patent, Innovation and One Country Two Systems,” in Yahong Li (ed.), Patent and Innovation in China and Hong Kong: Two Systems in One Country Compared (Cambridge University Press, 2017 forthcoming)
- “Copyrightability of Remix Works and Creation of Remix Right,” in Susy Frankel (ed.), Intellectual Property as Funtional Pluralism (Edward Elgar, 2017 forth coming).
- “The Problems and Challenges of China’s Copyright Collecting Society,” in K.C. Liu (ed,), Annotated Leading Copyright Cases in Major Asian Jurisdictions (City University of Hong Kong Press, 2017, forthcoming).
- “Hong Kong’s Short Term Patent through the Lens of the Case SNE Engineering Co. Ltd. v. Hsin Chong Construction Company Ltd.,” in K.C. Liu (ed.), Annotated Leading Patent Cases in Major Asian Jurisdictions (City University of Hong Kong Press, 2017, forthcoming).
- “Intellectual Property Law,” in B. Liang and H. Lu (eds.), Book Series on Western Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences: Jurisprudence (in Chinese) (China Renmin University Press, 2012), pp. 442-461.
- “Copyright Protection of Audiovisual Works in Hong Kong,” in Z. Y. Fong (ed.), Internet Copyright Protection, Practices and Rule of Law (in Chinese) (Angel Publishing, 2012), pp. 191-214.
- “Transplantation and Transformation: 30-Year Development of China’s IP System” in G. Yu (ed.), The Development of the Chinese Legal System: Change and Challenges (Routledge, London and New York, 2010), pp. 138-156.
- “Human Gene Patenting and Its Implications to Medical Research,” P. Yu (ed.), Intellectual Property and Information Wealth (Praeger, Westport, Connecticut, London, 2007), pp 347-376.
- “An Overview of Patent Protection for Biotechnology in Hong Kong”, in F. Chan and R. Wu (eds.), Law for Practitioners Series 2003 (Sweet &Maxwell, 2004), pp 27-47.
- “Utility Model in China”, in C. Heath and A. K. Sanders (eds.), “Industrial Property in the Biomedical Age – Challenges for Asia”, (Kluwer Law International, 2003), pp. 257-268.
- “Regional Integration for the International IPRs System: East Asia’s Response,” in H. Liu & PX Gong (eds.), Asia & Legal Development in the 21th Century (Nanjing Normal University Press, 2001), pp.1412-1444.
- “The Central-HKSAR Legislative Relationship: A Constitutional Assessment,” in Raymond Wacks (ed), The New Legal Order in Hong Kong (Hong Kong University Press, 1999), pp 163-182.
- “Hong Kong”, in Cheryl Saunders (ed), The Asia-Pacific Constitutional Yearbook 1997 (Melbourne: Center for Comparative Constitutional Studies, 1999), pp. 57-74.
- “Legal Thoughts in Hobbes’ Leviathan,” in W. Zhou (ed) Introduction to Western Legal Works (Liaoning People’s Press, 1986).
Journal Articles (publications in refereed journals):
- “China’s Copyright Public Domain: A Comparison with Australia,” (co-authored), Australian Journal of Intellectual Property Law, No. 1, 2017.
- “User-Generated Content from International and Chinese Law Perspectives,” Austrian Intellectual Property Law Journal "Medien und Recht - International" (ISSN 0257-3822) in issue 4/2016.
- “The Boundary of Intellectual Property and Balance of Interest,” Research on Rule of Law, (in Chinese) Vol. 94, No. 10, 2014, pp. 28-37.
- "Sino-US Patenting Trends and Implications to Innovation," Jahrbuch des Deutsch-Chinesischen Instituts für Rechtswissenschaft der Universitäten Göttingen und Nanjing, vol. (in Chinese) 11, 2014, pp. 62-90.
- “Necessity, Challenges, Possibilities and Models of Regional IP Integration in Asia,” (in Japanese, translated from English by Masabumi Suzuki), Intellectual Property Law and Policy Journal, Vol. 41 (Research Institute for Information Law and Policy, Hokkaido University, February 2013), pp. 209-229.
- “The Challenges for the Enforcement Against Copyright Violations in China under the TRIPS Agreement,” (co-authored), Frontiers of Law in China 7(2), 2012, pp. 244-268.
- “Reflections on the Centennial History of Transplantation and Transformation between Chinese and Western Copyright Laws,” Journal of Legal and Economic Studies, (in Chinese) 2012, Vol. 13, pp. 50-63.
- “Intellectual Property and Innovation: Case Studies of China’s High-Tech Industries”, Oregon Review of International Law, Issue 2, Vol. 13 (2012), pp. 101-144.
- “Intellectual Property and Public Health: Two Sides of the Same Coin,” Asian Journal of WTO & International Health Law and Policy, Vol. 6:389 , pp. 389-427.
- “Internet Technology and Intellectual Property Protection,” Proceedings of Symposium on i-Management – Challenges and Opportunities” (IET and IEEE Hong Kong, 2008), pp. 1-10.
- “The Concepts of Property in Common Law: Comments on Relevant Issues in the Drafts of PRC Law over Things,” Hong Fan Legal and Economic Studies, (in Chinese) 2008, Vol. 10.
- “The Fate of Harvard Mouse: The Trend of International Patent Protection and China’s Choices,” Journal of Science - Technology and Law, (in Chinese) No. 2, 2006, pp 26-29.
- “Intellectual Property Protection for e-Business Methods,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on E-Commerce Technology for Dynamic E-Business (Washington, Brussels, Tokyo, IEEE Computer Society Press, 2004), pp 362-365.
- “Legislation, Jurisprudence, and Judicial Practice in Copyright Laws: A Comparative Analysis between China and the United States”, American Law Review, (in Chinese) Vol. 1, 2003, pp.128-146.
- “Pushing for Greater Protection: the Trend of Chinese Software Industry and the Implications for the Rule of Law in China,” U. Penn. J. of Int’l Eco. L., Vol. 23:4, 2002, pp. 637-661.
- “The Wolf Had Come: Are China’s Intellectual Property Industries Prepared for the WTO?” UCLA Pacific Basin Law Journal, Vol. 20:1, Fall 2002, pp. 77-112.
- “The Law-making Law: a Solution to the Problems in the Chinese Legislative System?” 1 Hong Kong Law Journal (2000), pp. 120-140.
- “The Legislative Autonomy of the Localities and its Impact on the Relations between the Centre and the Periphery,” China Perspectives (French Center for Research on Contemporary China), No. 32, Nov./Dec. 2000, pp. 13-21.
- “A Revelation of American Presidential Election: Party Politics & Judicial Independence， Twenty-first Century (in Chinese), No. 32, Nov./Dec., 2000, pp. 72-80.
- “Problems with the Construction of Legislative Institutions in China,” Twenty-first Century (in Chinese), No. 47, June 1998.
- “Cultural Dilemma in Transplanting Western Legal System to China: Comments on William Alford’s Book, To Steal A Book Is An Elegant Offense: Intellectual Property Law in Chinese Civilization, 60 Peking University Law Review (in Chinese), No.6, 1998. pp 110-116.
- “Thoughts on the Central-Local Legislative Relationship in Transition Period,” Chinese Legal Sciences, (in Chinese) No.1, 1996;
- “Comments on Section 301 Proceedings of the United States,” Modern China Studies (in Chinese), No.3, May 1994.
Case reports, press interviews, short essays
Case reports and comments:
- “Viagra in China: A Prolonged Battle over Intellectual Property Rights”, Case No. 09/463C, Asia Case Research Center, the University of Hong Kong, 2010 (co-authored).
- “Foxconn v. BYD (A): Commercial Espionage or Learning by Hiring?” Case No. 09/452C, Asia Case Research Center, the University of Hong Kong, 2010 (co-authored).
- “Foxconn v. BYD (B): Strategic Approach to Intellectual Property Management in Emerging Markets,” Case No. 09/453C, Asia Case Research Center, the University of Hong Kong, 2010 (co-authored).
Short essays, book prefaces, and newspaper articles
- “Hong Kong and Innovation”, Mingpao, Column section, A29, 6 May 2010.
- Chinese Preface to the book by Jack Davies, Legislative Law and Process (published by West Publishing Company, reprinted by Law Press as West Nutshell Series, Beijing, 2005).
- “An Unforgettable Mentor,” in Li Guilian (ed.), Searching for the Sources of Traditional Chinese Legal Theories: a Collection of Articles in Memory of Professor Zhang Guohua, (in Chinese) (Beijing University Press, 2004), pp35-37.
- “The past and present of Jurisprudence Studies in China,” Hong Kong Globe, 3 Nov. 2000.
Press Interview and articles
- Ming Pao interview on Taiwanese case of “secondary creation and “fair use”, by Zena Tsang, Ming Pao, 5 May 2017: http://researchblog.law.hku.hk/search/label/Yahong%20Li
- South China Morning Post interview on the French-Chinese dispute over Feiyue sneakers, by Lucy Christie, SCMP, 24 Feb. 2017 http://researchblog.law.hku.hk/search/label/Yahong%20Li
- “Patent and Innovation – Interview with Yahong Li,” HKU Legal Scholarship Blog, 25 Feb. 2015, http://researchblog.law.hku.hk/2015/02/patent-and-innovation-interview-with-dr.html
- “Prof. Yahong Li provides overview of how China put innovation on agenda, but ‘patent quantity does not automatically translate into quality patent,” posted by Dr. Danny Friedmann at IP Dragon, 31 Jan. 2015,
- CNN interview for the article, “Help! A fake version of my restaurant opened in China,” by Maggie Hiufu Wong, CNN, 17 Oct. 2014.
- Interviewed for the article “China’s Bitter Medicine for Gilead: SIPO Cancels Viread Patent,” Beatrice Sze, 28 Feb. 2014, IP Osgoode, http://www.iposgoode.ca/2014/02/chinas-bitter-medicine-for-gilead-sipo-cancels-viread-patent/
- Interviewed by CRI English.com or the article “Proview or Apple, Who Will be the Winner in the iPad Trademark War?” 20 Feb. 2012, 13:14:34, by Xu Fei, CRI English.com, http://english.cri.cn/7146/2012/02/20/2001s682082.htm
- Christian Times interview for the article “If churches lost their second creations,” Christian Times, May 21, 2012. http://christiantimes.org.hk/Common/Reader/News/ShowNews.jsp?Nid=72534&Pid=5&Version=0&Cid=220&Charset=big5_hkscs
- Interviewed by U-Beat Magazine for the article “The legal risks in translating and providing movie subtitles,” U-Beat Magazine, Vol. 106, 14 May 2012, http://ubeat.com.cuhk.edu.hk/?p=4836&page=4
- The Wall Street Journal interview for the article, “More companies are trying to be product innovators rather than just imitators,” by Alex Ortolani, The Wall Street Journal, April 7, 2005.