Last updated: 10 September 2018.
All applications must be submitted via the online application system. The application for admission in September 2019 will open before mid-November 2018 (exact date to be confirmed in due course). The deadline for application will be 12:00 noon, 11 January 2019.
(1) Please read the Programme Information, Regulations and Syllabuses (current set of 2017-2018), Instructions and Supporting Documents, and Personal Information Collection Statement before you create a user account in the online application system.
(2) Please complete and submit your online application within 4 weeks from the date of the creation of your account or before the deadline of application in Hong Kong time, whichever is earlier. If you do not submit your application by that time, all records you have entered into the system will be deleted.
(3) You will be asked to pay a non-refundable application fee of HK$300 online by Visa or Mastercard credit card when you submit your online application. If your payment and submission are successful, you will be given an application number after submission of the online application form. Please quote this application number and your full name every time you send us an enquiry or a package of supporting documents.
(4) The Admissions Committee will begin to review all applications until after the application deadline. In other words, there is no need to submit one's application early to attempt to secure an advantage. However, the application system would likely be overloaded due to the large volume of applications towards the end of the application period. Applicants are advised to complete their application as early as possible to ensure timely completion of their application.
Subsequent to the submission of the online application, applicants are required to submit the following supporting documents to complete their applications:
1. One photocopy of applicant’s HKID card or passport showing personal particulars;
2. One personal statement of no more than 600 words;
3. One writing sample, which should be an assignment or coursework submitted during undergraduate or postgraduate study, and of no more than 10 double-spaced pages (font size 12);
4. Original or certified copies* of academic transcript(s) (certified translations in English where appropriate**);
5. Original or certified copy* of IELTS / TOEFL^ test score report(s), if required;
6. Two letters of reference and standard reference request forms from academic referees (the MS Word format of the standard reference request form is available for download here; the letter of references and forms must be kept in a sealed envelope with referee’s signature across the flap); and
7. One copy of applicant’s curriculum vitae (optional).
[Note: If applicants intend to provide any other documents in addition to those listed above, please be advised to send only certified copies of the documents and list them on the "cover sheet for supporting documents" for record.]
The above supporting documents must be sent by registered mail or by courier, and reach the following address as soon as possible and by Hong Kong Time 5:00 pm, 18 January 2019:
Faculty of Law
10/F Cheng Yu Tung Tower
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
(Re: JD Application [Your Name and Application Number here])
A complete application should include all of the above items#, except for the academic transcript(s) and IELTS / TOEFL test score report(s), which applicants may choose to instruct the relevant entities to send directly to us. It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that all documentations are complete. Failure to complete the documentation may result in delay in considering the application. An application will not be reviewed and acted upon until it is complete.
* Please note that the University will only ACCEPT originals or copies of the original that have been certified as true copies before a notary public (e.g. Commissioner for Oaths at Public Enquiry Service Centres of Home Affairs Office in Hong Kong). For overseas applicants, they may ask the appropriate official(s) of their home institutions to certify the copies. No uncertified photocopies will be accepted.
** Transcripts, diplomas, and other submitted documents which are not in English should be accompanied by a certified translation in English. Certified translation may be provided by applicants’ home institutions.
^ The TOEFL code of The University of Hong Kong is 9671.
# All documents, once submitted, will not be returned, and will be destroyed if the application is unsuccessful.
We receive hundreds of application packs, academic transcripts, reference letters and IELTS / TOEFL test score results etc. during the admissions period, and we seek your understanding that we are unable to check/ confirm whether all of your supporting documents are received. To ensure that your documents will reach us in time, please send them to us by registered mail or by courier (instead of ordinary mail). If the Admissions Committee finds that any of your supporting documents are missing, we may contact you by email. Your understanding would be greatly appreciated.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend interviews during February – March 2018. Depending on the location and the availability of the applicant, he/she may be asked to attend an in-person or a phone/video interview. Applicants who are located in Hong Kong will be asked to attend an in-person interview. Applicants located outside Hong Kong will be asked to attend either, where possible, a video-conference interview, or a phone interview.
Submission of online application: Hong Kong Time 12:00 noon, Friday, 11 January 2019.
Submission of supporting documents: Hong Kong Time 5:00 pm, Friday, 18 January 2019.
An application will not be reviewed and acted upon until it is complete.
Most applicants will receive a decision by the end of April. Admitted applicants will be required to accept the offer and pay the non-refundable deposit within ten days. For applicants who have received admission offers from other programmes that would expire prior to our usual notification time, they may request the Admissions Committee at email@example.com for an expedited review with documentary proof of an offer from another programme. The Admissions Committee reserves the right not to entertain such request.