- Partner Universities
- Scholarships for Law Students
- Self-funding Visiting Student Scheme
- Application Forms
- Useful Information
It is now possible to study for part of your degree on an approved exchange or limited Visiting Student programme. It is a worthwhile experience which will broaden your horizon and perspective.
LLB students may go on a one semester or full year exchange through the Faculty of Law programmes in their Year 3 or Year 4. Integrated degree students (BBA(Law)&LLB, BSS(G&L)&LLB and BA&LLB may do so in Year 4 or Year 5.
Students wishing to transfer credit for 1 or 2 law subjects during a non-Faculty of Law exchange, or obtain advance standing from a summer or other visiting student programme, must obtain the prior approval of the Director of Exchange (Outgoing). Obtaining prior approval means exactly that. Applications made during or after a programme of study will not be approved.
Useful Information for Outgoing Exchange Programme 2021-22
Online application form (available on 23 Nov at 15:00)
23 Nov (Mon) at 15:00
Online application for Semester 1, 2 & full year exchange and Visiting Programme of AY2021-22
10 Jan (Sun) at 23:59
Deadline for online application
Late application will not be considered. Eligible Applicants who achieved a CGPA of 3.5 or above and wish to go on Visiting Programme may be invited to attend an interview, in mid of January 2021.
20 Jan (Wed) at 3pm
Re-open online application system (Not applicable to Self-funded Visiting Student Scheme)
This is to give applicants an opportunity to change their exchange options after knowing their first semester's examination results (change is optional). NO new application will be accepted.
22 Jan (Fri) at 9am
Deadline to submit your final exchange options
No change will be accepted after the deadline.
5 Feb (Fri) (tentatively)
Release of Fac-level exchange placement result
11 Feb (Thu) (tentatively)
Deadline for acceptance of exchange offer
2nd Round Application
Depends on the number of places left from the 1st round.
Deadline for 2nd round online application
For University-level exchange partners please visit HKU International Affairs Office
# also University partner
- Bar Ilan University# (http://law.biu.ac.il/en/node/164)
- Tel Aviv University# (https://en-law.tau.ac.il/TAU_Law_Exchange_Program)
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem# (https://international.huji.ac.il/book/exchange-programs)
- University Radzyner School of Law (IDC) (https://www.idc.ac.il/en/global/pages/incoming.aspx)
- Kobe University (http://www.law.kobe-u.ac.jp/english/admission/program.html)
- University of Auckland# (https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/study/international-students/study-options-for-international-students/study-abroad-and-exchange.html)
United Kingdom & Scotland
- Masaryk University (https://czs.muni.cz/en/student-from-abroad/international-student-guide)
- University of Copenhagen# (http://studies.ku.dk/exchange/admission/exchange/)
- Bucerius Law School# (https://www.law-school.de/international/education/exchange-program)
- IE Law School# (https://www.ie.edu/university/ieu-experience/international-experience/exchange-students-ieu/)
- Pompeu Fabra University# (https://www.upf.edu/web/incoming/exchange-students-before-your-application)
- Stockholm University# (https://www.jurinst.su.se/english/education/courses-and-programmes/exchange-programmes)
- University of Zurich# (https://www.ius.uzh.ch/en/studies/mobility/international/uzh/preparation.html)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam# (https://www.eur.nl/en/esl/education/exchange)
- Maastricht University# (https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/education/exchange/law)
- Tilburg University (https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/exchange-programs)
- The University of British Columbia# (https://students.ubc.ca/about-student-services/go-global/coming-ubc-study-abroad/coming-ubc-exchange)
- McGill University# (https://mcgill.ca/mcgillabroad/students-coming-mcgill/request-exchange)
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University (https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-program/international-programs/exchange-osgoode-international-students/)
- Queen's University# (https://law.queensu.ca/programs/jd/international-learning/exchanges/incoming)
- University of Toronto# (https://learningabroad.utoronto.ca/exchange/)
- University of Victoria# (https://www.uvic.ca/law/jd/exchangeterms/incomingexchange/index.php#applying)
- Western University# (https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/international/exchange_program.html)
- Boston University# (https://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/llm-admissions/foreign-exchange-students/)
- Brooklyn Law School# (https://www.brooklaw.edu/academics/internationalopportunities/semesterexchangeprograms/programs.aspx?)
- Cornell University Law School# (https://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/international/Exchange-Programs.cfm)
- Duke University# (https://law.duke.edu/internat/appinformation/)
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law# (https://law.indiana.edu/academics/global-experiences/study-abroad/exchanges.html)
- College of Law, University of Iowa (https://international.uiowa.edu/isss/departments)
- University of Miami (https://www.miamioh.edu/global-initiatives/isss/index.html)
- University of Michigan Law School (https://www.law.umich.edu/curriculum/studyabroad/Pages/hongkong.aspx)
- University of North Carolina# (https://studyabroad.unc.edu/incoming-exchange/)
- University of Pennsylvania# (https://global.upenn.edu/pennabroad/exchangeatpenn)
- University of Southern California# (https://www.marshall.usc.edu/current-students/international-programs/international-exchange-program/incoming-students)
- Tulane Law School# (https://law.tulane.edu/academics/international/exchange)
- Washington University in St Louis# (https://overseas.wustl.edu/exchange-students)
- University of Washington School of Law, Seattle# (https://www.law.washington.edu/students/academics/intlstudyextern.aspx)
# also listed as University-level exchange partners. Subject to the final decision of respective partners, students nominated under HKUWW might NOT have access to law subjects under the HKUWW programme.
Please visit HKU International Affairs Office (https://aal.hku.hk/studyabroad/partner_list.php) for the full list of University-level exchange partners.
Last update: November 2020
Scholarships for outgoing exchange students
1972 Law Graduates Scholarship
A scholarship of not more than HK$25,000 (for one semester) and not more than HK$50,000 (for one academic year) shall be awarded to a law student (in both LLB and mixed degree programmes) who intend to participate in overseas exchange programme.
The scholarships shall be awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need, with a view to supporting students who are qualified to go on exchange but would not be able to take up the opportunity but for the assistance from the scholarships. In the case of equal academic merit, preference shall be given to those who are in financial need. Students should therefore include proofs and details about their financial situation in the applications.
Candidates are invited for applications in March/ April.
Holman Fenwick & Willan Exchange Scholarship
Holman Fenwick & Willan, an international law firm, has kindly donated an annual academic scholarship of the value of HK$15,000 to the Faculty of Law. The Scholarship shall be awarded to a LLB student who intends to participate in an exchange programme to an overseas university in the second semester of the second year of LLB study or in the first semester of the third year LLB study.
The Scholarship shall be awarded on the basis of the following criteria:
a/ Excellent academic results (CGPA 3 or above) in first year of LLB study;
b/ Good English proficiency;
c/ Proven personal qualities e.g. enthusiasm, initiative, ability to adapt to changes;
d/ Proven record of extra-curricular activities or services to students, institutions and the community.
Candidates are invited for applications in March/ April.
From 2014, the Faculty of Law introduced a formalized Visiting Student Scheme. Participation is limited to 10 students (double degree 4th and 5th or LLB degree 3rd and 4th). Students selected to join the Visiting Students Scheme will be able to transfer credits obtained as Visiting Students at Oxford, Cambridge, Yale and Harvard. Priority will be given to students wishing to participate in the Faculty of Law programme with Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (1-2 students per year) and/ or the HKU programmes with Hertford College, Oxford and Yale College. Students wishing to apply to Harvard for one semester or for a full year at other Oxford colleges, such as St Catherine’s, or other Cambridge colleges, are also very much encouraged to apply for the Visiting Students Scheme.
IMPORTANT: Apart from bilateral exchange and approved summer programmes, only HKU students who study at other law schools pursuant to the Visiting Students Scheme will be able to transfer credits gained into their HKU LLB degrees.
Students wishing to apply for the Visiting Student Scheme should indicate this, together with their intended universities, in the space provided in the online exchange application form. Eligible students who have applied for the Visiting Student Scheme will be invited to attend interviews in January each year.
Students who wish to apply for the Visiting Student Scheme should proceed with their applications to their chosen universities, taking careful note of the application deadlines for each particular institution.
Students are welcome to apply for both visiting student scheme and exchange scheme. Application to the Visiting Student Scheme will not jeopardize the student’s Law Faculty exchange applications.
IMPORTANT: Subject to limited scholarship assistance, students who attend these universities should be prepared to pay the substantial fees themselves.
IMPORTANT: Any student who wishes to spend a year at a foreign university may apply to defer their studies for a year. Such students will not need to pay HKU fees for the year they are on leave but they will also NOT able to transfer credits into their HKU degrees, unless within the approved Visiting Student Schemes, such students will need to return to HKU and all the requirements for the degree.
St Catherine’s College, University of Oxford, UK
- Accommodation and Residence 2020-2021
- Visiting Student Fees 2020-2021
- Visiting Student Application Form 2020-2021
Hertford College, University of Oxford, UK
Scholarship for outgoing students under the "Self-funding Visiting Student Scheme"
Parkside Chambers Scholarship
Up to 2 Scholarships ranging from HK$10,000 to HK$100,000 each shall be awarded to undergraduate students who are to be or have been accepted to a self-funding Visiting Student Schemeto prestigious overseas universities. Subject to mutual agreement between Parkside Chambers and awardees, awardees may undertake mini-pupillages of up to 4 weeks every summer at Parkside Chambers leading up to the commencement of pupillage. In addition, awardees may serve a 6-month pupillage at Parkside Chambers after completion of his/her PCLL.
The Scholarships shall be awarded on the basis of academic merit as reflected in public examinations for admission to the University and cGPA during their undergraduate studies. Financial need, interview performance, leadership potential and track record of community services may also be taken into consideration.
Candidates are invited for application in March/ April.