HKU Law frequently hosts visiting academics, judges, practitioners, and postgraduate students from around the world. HKU Law seeks to provide an intellectually stimulating and friendly environment in which visiting scholars can undertake research and forge links with our colleagues and the wider Hong Kong legal community.
If you are interested in visiting HKU Law, we have several visiting programmes under the auspices of our various research centres as well as the HKU Law Visiting Scholars Scheme.
Research Centres Visiting Programmes
If you are planning a visiting stint at HKU Law of 3 weeks or less in duration, please contact our research centres about visiting opportunities:
HKU Law Visiting Scholars Scheme
Under this scheme, HKU Law welcomes academics around the world. Visiting appointments range from a minimum of three weeks to a maximum of one year.
There are two categories of Visiting Scholars:
Visiting Professors include senior professors at their home institutions, eminent judges and highly regarded practitioners with strong academic publishing track records.
Visiting Research Associates are generally promising doctoral students whose research would benefit from the use of archival, library and other resources in Hong Kong.
Depending on expertise and seniority, a Visiting Scholar will typically engage in one or more of the following activities during his/her visit:
(1) Teaching and/or co-teaching with an internal Faculty academic staff;
(2) Research and research collaboration;
(3) Giving public lectures and conducting workshops; and
(4) Review of the Faculty's academic programmes.
A visiting scholar will be given access to the Faculty's academic and library facilities and will be invited to join all Faculty academic and social activities. You may visit this webpage (https://www.law.hku.hk/news/) for a listing of upcoming events in the Faculty.
Subject to availability, a visiting scholar will be provided with appropriate office space during his/her visiting stint.
Please complete the application form and submit your application via email. We will notify you by email on receipt of your application as well as the review committee's decision on your application.
Due to limitations in resources and office space, the Faculty is unable to accept all applications to this scheme.
Applications are invited twice every year, and will close on:
- January 31 (for visits in the following September (fall) semester); and
- June 30 (for visits in the following January (spring) semester).
Our Visiting Professors include:
- Professor Francis Reynolds (Emeritus Professor of Law at Worcester College, University of Oxford)
- Professor Dame Sarah Worthington (Downing Professor of the Laws of England, University of Cambridge)
- Professor Mindy Chen-Wishart (Professor of the Law of Contract, University of Oxford)
- Professor Dr. Rolf H. Weber (University of Zurich)
- Judge Lech Garlicki (Judge of the European Court of Human Rights, Professor of Constitutional Law at the University of Warsaw); and
- Professor Leong Wai Kum (National University of Singapore)