Pathway Programme with University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley Law)
This programme is designed for single LLB students with a maximum annual intake of three students.
Students will spend the summer before their final year to start the first half of a US LLM Programme (under Option B of the Executive track, details can be found at https://www.law.berkeley.edu/academics/llm/exec-track/) at Berkeley Law, and complete the remainder of the LLM in the summer after graduation.
Upon successful completion of the LLM at Berkeley Law, students will be awarded an LLB degree from HKU and an LLM degree from UC Berkeley.
Under the Berkeley Law’s LLM executive track, students will complete courses from May to August during two consecutive summer semesters. The normal duration for each summer session is 10-13 weeks. This programme would also allow students with an LLB degree to become eligible to register for the California Bar Examination.
The curriculum structure is as follows:
|Year||No. of Credits|
|First Year||60 Credits|
|Second Year||60 Credits|
|Third Year||60 Credits|
|First Summer Semester at Berkeley Law
(mid-May to mid-Auguest 10-13 weeks)
|6-12 HKU credits which may be transferred towards your LLB degree, subject to the approval by the Exchange Director (Outgoing).|
|Fourth Year||60 Credits|
|Second Summer Semester at Berkeley Law
(mid-May to mid-August, 10-13 weeks)
Information about the LLM at UC Berkeley can be found at:
LLB Year 3 students with a minimum CGPA of 3.30 at the time of application; while nominees should also have a minimum CGPA of 3.30 at the end of the semester prior to departure.
Interested applicants should apply by submitting the following documents via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM, November 30, 2020 (Monday)
- A Personal Statement of no more than 750 words (the contents of your personal statement should outline those features about yourself that distinguish you from other candidates and/or anything you feel is relevant to your application including highlights about your non-academic achievements) with your full name, university number, curriculum and year of study; and
- A copy of your academic transcript(s)
TUITION AND FEES
Students will pay the tuition fees for two consecutive summer semesters to UC Berkeley, while selected students will be eligible for application fee waivers.
The tuition fee* of the LLM Executive Track (Option B) is as follows:
- Summer Semester 2020 (3 Months): USD 31,681.00
- Summer Semester 2021 (3 Months): USD 33,265.00
- For further information about your HKU LLB degree and study plan, please contact the Outgoing Exchange Team at email@example.com.
- For information about the admissions process, please contact Berkeley Law’s Advanced Degree Programmes Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.