1. What are the special features of the 4-year LLB curriculum?

The design of the curriculum enables students to build up a solid foundation and allows students flexibility in their choice of courses. The first 2 years serve to equip students with the basic legal knowledge and skills – students will find a good foundation in core law subjects most valuable when they proceed to the 3rd and 4th years of the curriculum in which they can choose among the electives, and if they wish, specialize in Chinese law, commercial, corporate and financial law, or international trade and economic law, with completion of at least 36 credits in any one of the three categories.

The four-year LLB will provide students with greater opportunities to address the following challenges:

  • Acquiring a solid foundation in legal knowledge, transferable critical and analytical skills, and broadening of intellectual horizons;
  • Developing a high level of language proficiency;
  • Preparing for vocational training in the new skill-based PCLL;
  • Understanding globalisation and the changing International Scene;
  • Understanding the close interaction between the systems of China and Hong Kong; and
  • Developing maturity of personality

2. Why do I have to take the 4-year LLB when I can complete an LLB in England in 3 years?

The 4-year LLB teaches HK laws which are of direct relevance to local practice. In addition, from 2008, law graduates from overseas will have to complete conversion courses for admission to the PCLL. This is due to the fact that the PCLL has been significantly reformed into a skills-based course, and most of the knowledge part on HK law has been devolved into the 4-year LLB. Overseas graduates would have to supplement the HK law portion by doing conversion examination in order to be eligible for admission to the PCLL.  Details of conversion examination can be viewed from

3. What are the teaching methods? 

The 4-year LLB is to be taught in a small group, problem-based and student-centred learning environment. The emphasis is on the students’ learning process, and we believe that this is the best way to ensure that our students acquire the core competencies in legal learning which are of life-long value. Small group classes provide ample opportunities for student exercises and teacher feedback.  Many courses also require or encourage the use of computers for learning or research. 

4. What is the examination system?

In each year of study, the degree examinations are usually held in December for first-semester 6-credit courses, and in May for second-semester 6-credit and 12-credit courses.  In most courses, written assignments are counted towards the examination results.

5. Are there any exchange opportunities during the course of study of the programme?

Yes. The Faculty has developed active programmes of exchanges and visits with law schools in the UK, China and other Pacific Rim countries, and elsewhere.  It may be possible for a student, after completing the first two years of LLB study, to apply to study for a semester, or even a full academic year, in another country, as part of The University of Hong Kong degree.  It is the University/Faculty’s mission to offer each UG student an exchange opportunity during the course of the study at HKU.

6. What are the double degree programmes offered by the Faculty?

Jointly offered the following double degree programmes with the respective Faculties:
BBA(Law)&LLB with HKU Business School;
BSocSc(Govt&Laws)&LLB with Faculty of Social Science; and
BA&LLB with Faculty of Arts

In view of HK’s role as a premier innovation hub in Asia becomes increasingly important and increasing demand for patent practitioners and legal professionals in the technology transfer industry, the Faculty of Law and Faculty of Science are joining hands to introduce a new double degree programme, BSc&LLB, in the academic year 2022-23.

7. What’s the duration of the double degree programmes?

All four double degree programmes – BBA(Law)&LLB, BSocSc (Govt & Laws)&LLB, BA&LLB and BSc&LLB require ten semesters of full-time study, extending over not fewer than five academic years.

8. Is there any scholarship available?

HKU may offer entrance scholarships based on academic merits. Successful candidates will be notified of the award if he or she meets the awarding criteria.  After you are admitted to the University, you may apply for other HKU scholarships. Please refer to 

9. Do we have to become lawyers after studying the LLB degree? 

One of the responsibilities of our Faculty is to train good quality lawyers for the legal profession, but we certainly have a broader mission in training leaders of our community. The study of law is a good training in itself, irrespective of whether you will become a lawyer or not. Legal knowledge as well as the skills acquired through the study of law are immensely useful in other kinds of career, including government, business, politics, journalism, and social work, just to name a few. 


10.How many places are available for LLB and BA&LLB? 

The intake quota is 93 and 20 for LLB and BA&LLB respectively. The proportions for JUPAS and non-JUPAS vary from year to year, depending on the quality of applicants. Applicants can expect that around 25% of the total intake will be allocated for competition among non-JUPAS candidates, if quality permits. 

11. What is the selection principle of LLB and BA&LLB programmes under JUPAS scheme? 

English language + Best 5 Subjects (under Category A)

Programme minimum entrance requirements:
English Language    5
Chinese Language    4
Mathematics           3
Liberal Studies       3
Elective Subject 1  3
Elective Subject 2  3

Details of Entrance Requirements can be viewed at

12. Am I eligible to apply for admissions via the International/ Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme?

We welcome applications via International/ Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme from the following applicants:

  • Non-local students with an international qualification or other national examination qualifications other than Mainland China’s National Joint College Entrance Examination (NJCEE) or GaoKao;
  • Local students with an international qualification or pending international qualification other than the HKDSE. 

13. Is a degree holder eligible to apply for admissions via Non-JUPAS Admissions Scheme?

No.  Interested applicants with a first degree or who will be graduating in June of the admission year wish to pursue a degree in law are encourage to apply for admission to our taught postgraduate programme, Juris Doctor (JD) Programme, which offers an intensive two-year self-funded programme. 

14. Are there any other entrance requirements? 

For JUPAS applicants, please visit the Undergraduate Admissions website for details.

For non-JUPAS applicants are required to satisfy the English language and second language requirement as required by the University. Details can be viewed at 

15. When is the application deadline?

If you are a JUPAS applicant, the usual deadline will be in early December of each calendar year. For details of the JUPAS calendar, please visit the JUPAS website,   

If you are a non-JUPAS applicant, please check the Important Dates for the Year of Admission. The online application system normally opens in early October. The usual deadline for first round evaluation is by mid-November.  Applications received after this date will be considered on a rolling basis. 

16. What kind of scores/grades do I need to obtain in order to be likely considered for admissions?

For JUPAS applicants, an overall average score of 36 or above with at least level 5 in English and no score less than 4 in other subjects. 

For non-JUPAS applicants, Admissions is on competitive basis and applications are assessed on academic merit, interview performance and related supporting documents.   

17. Do I need to submit any supporting documents? 

For JUPAS applicants, please follow the instruction of the JUPAS while completing the form, except for candidates who also apply for admission to the following dual degree programmes:
Please refer to the website of the respective programme for further details.

For non-JUPAS applicants, you are required to provide us with the academic reference(s) with predicted grades, personal statement and related supporting documents regardless of your choice of programmes through the non-JUPAS application system.  You are  encouraged to submit your application and documents early to avoid any competitive disadvantage over other applicants whose complete files. 

18. Are there any interviews for JUPAS and Non-JUPAS applicants?

JUPAS – The Faculty is considering inviting Band A JUPAS applicants to attend group interviews in in May/June of the calendar year. Details will be announced at a later date.

Non-JUPAS – Only shortlisted applicants are required to attend a panel interview.  As in the past practice, small group interviews will arrange in late December/ January and early to mid-April of the calendar year.

19. Is English still the predominant criteria for admission to the LLB and other LLB related programmes? 

Competence in using English as a tool for thinking and analysis is the most important quality of a law student and indeed a lawyer.   We place great emphasis on the standard of English of our students, but at the same time, we would like to see our students to be able to think critically and present their analysis and arguments clearly and logically. The two skills really go together. However, having good ability to read and write Chinese, and to speak Cantonese and Putonghua would be an advantage since legal professions are using more Chinese in their work nowadays.

20. Are there any subject preference for applicants applying on the strength of HKDSE (JUPAS) or qualifications other than HKDSE (non-JUPAS) for admissions purpose?

No. But in the case of an IB candidate, subject to academic reference with good predicted grades, a student taking English language/literature A (SL or HL) will have higher chance to be shortlisted in comparison to a student taking English B (SL or HL).  Should a student decides to choose English B, a HL is recommended in order to enhance a chance for being considered. 

21. Will the Faculty only consider JUPAS Band A applicants?

In theory, the Faculty considers applicants of Band A, B and C, but experience tells that all places can be filled without exhausting the Band A pool. Therefore, students really wish to get into Law Faculty should consider putting LLB not only as a Band A choice, but preferably as their first choice (A1) since this will give them the best chance of being admitted by the Faculty while matching the applicant with their choice of programmes after the release of HKDSE examination results. 


22. Why should I choose a 4-Year LLB programme when other countries like UK offer three years LLB programme? 

The main benefits will be that students will get a deeper understanding of legal studies and will be better prepared for life as a professional legal expert. More courses aimed at enhancing students professional skills will be offered in the 4 year LLB curriculum.   Besides, it is important to emphasize that 4 years is now the ‘norm’ for LLB internationally. Like Australia, New Zealand or Singapore, or European countries or Mainland China mainly offer 4 or even 5 years undergraduate progarmmes.  In the US and Canada the law degree is a second degree – i.e. law is studied as a postgraduate programme.  

23. After completing the LLB, can I work as a barrister or solicitor in Hong Kong?

No. The LLB is the academic stage of your training. In the LLB, you develop both intellectual skills and general legal skills. There is also a vocational or professional stage to your training before qualifying as a trainee solicitor or pupilage. This is a one-year full-time programme, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) in which you will learn about the day-to-day aspects of being a practicing lawyer in Hong Kong.  

24. Is there any PCLL intake quota set aside for HKU LLB graduates? 

Admissions to PCLL is on competitive basis subject to applications.  In past years, the majority of HKU LLB graduates will continue their PCLL studies with us.    

25. What are my career prospects after receiving an LLB degree? 

The majority of our LLB graduates will proceed to study the one-year full-time PCLL programme which is the qualification for entry into the legal profession in Hong Kong, either as solicitors or barristers. While a few of them may continue pursuing postgraduate study at HKU or elsewhere around the world, there are some law graduates may choose to enter into other sectors, such as business, banking and public service etc. 

26. Would I spend more time in obtaining a qualification in legal practice than other overseas students by doing the law degree at HKU? 

Our LLB students would have advantage over students studying an LLB abroad in terms of eligibility for admission to the PCLL programme.  Overseas LLB students may have to spend term breaks throughout the years of study to take and pass conversion examinations for fulfilling the eligibility requirement for admission to the PCLL programme.

Similarly, graduates of the CPE programmes or its equivalent qualification and London University external LLB degree are also required to do conversion examination before they are eligible for admission to PCLL.

27. Other than the pre-requisites, are there any other benefits to taking the LLB at HKU? 

Yes. Because the two programmes (LLB and PCLL) have been designed together, it has been possible to ensure that the LLB courses’ content is best suited to what students will be facing later in the PCLL. The idea is that students may benefit from a smoother transmission from the HKU LLB to the PCLL programme.