(1) Invited speaker on “Intellectual Property and Public Health: Two Side of the Same Coin,” in 2011 Conference on International Health and Trade: Globalization and Related Health Issues, hosted by Department of Health, Executive Yuan, Taiwan, and Asian Center for WTO & Int’l Health Law and Policy, College of Law, National Taiwan University on 5-6 August 2011.
(2) Speaker on “IP, Innovation and Competition: US Perspective,” in the conference IP and IT: Regulation and Competition, hosted by University of Zurich, 27 May 2011.
(3) Invited speaker on “IP Disputes between Chinese and Other Companies: Trends and Implications,” in An Academic & Practitioners’ Law Conference, hosted by Vanderbilt University, Beijing, 20-21 May 2011.
(4) Invited Speaker on “IP and Innovation: Case studies of China’s IP Industries,” in the conference China’s Role in Regulating the Global Information Economy, hosted by Oregon Review of Int’l Law and University of Oregon Confucius Institute, Oregon, 8 April 2011.
(5) Invited speaker on “Copyright, Fair Use, Public Licenses and Open Access,” in the seminar The Intellectual Property of Public Records, hosted by HK Foresight Centre and Hong Kong Intellectual Property Department, Hong Kong, 17 January 2011.
(6) Invited speaker on “Fair Use, Public Licenses and Free Access to Information” in Annual Pacific Neighborhood Consortium 2010 Annual Conference: From Digital Content to Knowledge Assets, City University of Hong Kong, 1-3 December 2010.
(7) Invited Speaker on “Copyrights, Fair Use and Infringement Liability in Digital and Internet Environment,” at The 2nd Annual Cross-Strait Forum on Copyright System, co-organized by Beijing University and Huadong University of Political Science and Law, Shanghai, 4 November 2010.
(8) Speaker on “How Patents Affect Innovation in China?” in The Greater China IP Conference, organized by Law & Technology Center, the University of Hong Kong, 27 October 2010.
(9) International Forum on the Centennial of Chinese Copyright Legislation, held at Renmin University, Beijing, on 14-15 October 2010.
(10) Invited Speaker on “Patents and Innovation in Hong Kong” at The 8th Cross-Strait Intellectual Property Forum: Cross-Strait IP Strategies and Global Challenges, co-organized by Beijing U. and Zhengzhi University in Taiwan, 14-15 May 2010.
(11) Invited Speaker on “Overview of Hong Kong Creative Commons” at Remix and Share: CC Art Exhibition Opening Ceremony and Forum, Renmin University, Beijing, 13 December 2009.
(12) Invited Speaker on “Development of Green Technology and Protection of Intellectual Property: the View of the United States” in Technology Transfer in Post-Kyoto Protocol Era High-Level Seminar, Fudan University, Shanghai, 16 December 2009.
(13) Speaker on “Transplantation and Transformation: 30 Years of Development of China’s IP System” in the conference The Development of the Chinese Legal System: Changes and Challenges, the University of Hong Kong, 10-11 December 2009.
(14) Invited speaker on “Major Differences in PRC and Hong Kong Copyright Laws”, in The 1st Annual Cross-Strait Copyright Forum, Xiamen University, 11-12 Nov 2009.
(15) Invited speaker on “Reform of China’s Patent Law System: Some Observations”, in the conference Intellectual Property Developments in China: Global Challenge, Local Voices, held at Drake University Law School on 16-17 October 2009.
(16) Speaker on the topic of “IP strategy in China: from a business perspective” in the 1st Zurich-London-HKU annual conference IP and IT: Theory and Practice, HKU, 4-5 September 2009.
(17) Chair for the conference The Age of Digital Divergence: An East-West Dialogue on Law, Media and Technology, the University of Hong Kong, 12-13 June 2009
(18) Chair for the conference Legal Development in East Asia: China-Vietnam Compared, the University of Hong Kong, 4-5 December 2008.
(19) Commentator for 2008 Cross-Strait Conference on Legal Development, the University of Hong Kong, 21-22 November 2008.
(20) Invited speaker on “The Influence of Internet Technologies on Intellectual Property Law” in 2008 ILST Conference on Innovation, Competition and Regulation, hosted by the Institute of Law for Science and Technology (ILST), National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan, 13-14 November 2008.
(21) Speaker on “IP and Innovation” in HKU-PKU Annual Conference, Beijing University, October 2008.
(22) Keynote speaker on “Internet Technology and Intellectual Property Protection” in Symposium on i-Management – Challenges and Opportunities, organized by IET Hong Kong Management Section and IEEE Hong Kong Engineering Management Chapter in Hong Kong, 6 June 2008.
(23) Invited speaker on “Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Patenting in China,” in Inaugural Summer Institute in Intellectual Property, Biotechnology and Agricultural Sciences, organized by Drake University Law School, 19-21 May 2008.
(24) Invited Chair for 2nd Annual LawTech Asia Summit, organized by CMS, Hong Kong, 16-17 April 2008.
(25) Speaker on “IP and Competition: a New Balance Game in China,” in IP, Media and Competition Roundtable, organized by HKU and Drake Univ., 11 January 2008.
(26) Speaker on “The Trend of Patent Law Reform in the World,” in PKU-HKU Annual Conference, organized by PKU and HKU, Hong Kong, 14 December 2007.
(27) Invited speaker on “Research and Teaching Project and Plan”, in Media and Intellectual Property Workshop, organized by Law School of the University of New South Wales, 7 December 2007.
(28) Invited Speaker on “Internet Technologies and IPR Disputes,” in The 6th International Forum on Online Dispute Resolution, organized by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) in collaboration with the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Hong Kong, 4 December 2007.
(29) Speaker on “Patent and Innovation in China’s Biotech and Pharmaceutical Industries,” in LawTech Talk, hosted by China IT Center, Faculty of Law, HKU, 2 Oct 2007.
(30) Panelist on “From Imitation to Innovation: the Role of Patent in China’s Pharmaceutical Industry,” in conference Intellectual Property in Hong Kong and Mainland China, Best Practices and International Impact, organized by Hong Kong Sci. & Tech. Parks and Office of the European Commission in Hong Kong and Macao, Hong Kong, 22 March 2007.
(31) Speaker on “Biotechnology, Patent and Chinese Innovative Culture” in International Conference on Contemporary China Studies, organized by Provisional Contemporary China Studies Council, HKU, Hong Kong, 5-6 January 2007.
(32) Chair for the panel “Patents and Biotech” in conference IP3: Intellectual Property, Innovation Policies and International Perspectives, organized by Faculty of Law of HKU and the IP & Communications Law Program at Michigan State University, 9-10 December 2005.
(33) Invited speaker on “The concepts of property in common law: comments on the draft of PRC Law Over Things” in conference Comparative Studies of Property Law and the Law Over Things, co-organized by Shantou U. Law School and the Editorial Board of Global Law Review of Chinese Academy of Social Science, Beijing, 30 October 2005.
(34) Invited speaker on “Balancing interests in IPRs: a forever difficulty and a new challenge” in the 12th Annual Conference of Chinese Academy of IP Studies in Universities and the Int’l Symposium on New Issues of IP in 21st Century, Chongqing, 18-22 May 2005.
(35) Commentator at TRIPs panel of the seminar China's Participation in the WTO: Changing China, Changing the World, Hong Kong, 21-22 February 2005.
(36) Invited speaker on “Amendments to Copyright Law in Hong Kong and Its Implications ” in the panel of Mission Impossible: Copyright and Trademark Protection in Asia, 2005 Asia Business Conference, organized by Harvard Law School, Business School and Government School, Boston, 18-19 February 2005.
(37) Commentator in UNCTD/ICTSD Regional Dialogue: "Intellectual Property Rights, Innovation and Sustainable Development," Hong Kong, 8-10 November 2004.
(38) Invited speaker on “Intellectual Property Protections for Genomics” in Executive Course on Genomics and Public Health Policy Western Pacific & South-East Asia, organized by HKU and Univ. of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics/Mclaughlin Center for Molecular Medicine/GenomeCanada, Hong Kong, 20-23 October 2004.
(39) Invited speaker on “Patent Protection for e-Business” in IEEE International Conference on e-Commerce Technology for Dynamic e-Business (CEC’04 EAST, organized by IBM and PRC State Intellectual Property Office, Beijing, 13 September 2004.
(40) Invited speaker on “Linkage of Patent Protection with Pharmaceutical Registration in Hong Kong: a Way Forward?” in the seminar Patent Protection to Spur Innovation in the Pharmaceutical Industry, organized by the U.S. Consulate General and Hong Kong Association of Pharmaceutical, Hong Kong, 18 May 2004.
(41) Speaker on “Patent protection for Hong Kong’s Biotechnology” in Law Series for Practitioners, Hong Kong, 11 June 2003.
(42) Invited commentator in conference of State Reforms and Social Stability in China, organized by the French Centre for Research on Contemporary China, the Institute of East Asian Studies of the Gerhard Mercator University (Duisburg, Germany), the Dept. of Government and Public Administration of the Chinese U. of Hong Kong and the Konrad Adenauer Foundation Shanghai office, Hong Kong, 5-6 July 2002.
(43) Speaker on “Are China’s IP Industries Prepared for the WTO?” in seminar Technology, Intellectual Property and Venture Capital in China, organized by Asia/Pacific Research Center of Stanford University, 15 April 2002.
(44) Invited commentator in Fostering Creativity in Asian Industries: Intellectual Property Law Symposium, organized by the European Commission and Macau Institute of European Studies, Macau, 14-15 June 2001.
(45) Speaker in HKU-Peking U Conference on Judicial Reform and Legal Development, Hong Kong, 11-12 January 2001.
(46) Keynote Speaker in Symposium 2000: Hong Kong – An Intellectual Property Gate Way, organized by Hong Kong Bar Association, Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners, and Law Society of Hong Kong, 7-8 November 2000.
(47) Invited Speaker on “Regional Integration for the International IPRs System: East Asia’s Response,” in The Third Asian Symposium in Jurisprudence, organized by IVR China, Jurisprudence Institute of Chinese Law Society and Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing, 16-18 October 2000.
(48) Invited speaker on “Chinese Uniformed Contract Law” in Zurich International Forum on Chinese Business Law, organized by the Zurich University and the Legal Chapter of the Swiss-Chinese Chamber of Commerce, 6 June 2000.
(49) Invited speaker on “China’s Central-Local Legislative Relationship” in conference Center-Periphery Relations in China: Integration, Disintegration or Reshaping of an Empire? organized by the French Center for Research on Contemporary China, South China Programme, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies of the Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Department of Government and Public Administration of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 24-25 March 2000.
(50) Invited discussant in conference 20 Years Development and Reform of the System of National People’s Congress, organized by the Center for the System of People’s Congress Studies, Beijing University Law School, 11 December 1999.
(51) Invited speaker on “The Central-HKSAR Legislative Relationship: A Constitutional Assessment,” in Fifth World Congress: Constitutionalism, Universalism and Democracy, organized by Int’l Association of Constitutional Law, Rotterdam, 12-16 July 1999.
(52) Invited speaker on “The Problems in China’s Drafting Law on Legislation,” in conference Contemporary Chinese Legal Development, organized jointly by East Asian Legal Studies of Harvard Law School, Chinese Law Society of America and Asia Law Forum at Yale Law School, Boston, 26-28 March 1999.
(53) Invited discussant in conference Economic Reform and Political Change: the Review of China’s 20 Years Reform, jointly organized by the Sino-European Association and the Center of Pacific Century, Hong Kong,11-12 December 1998.
(54) Discussant in conference Reform of China’s Adjudicative System, jointly organized by HKU Faculty of Law and the Legal Education Trust Fund, HKU, 5 December 1998.
(55) Discussant in the symposium New Developments in Chinese Law, organized by Beijing University Law School, HKU, 10 December 1998.
(56) Invited speaker on “Problems with the Construction of Legislative Institutions in China” at the seminar organized by the Center of Contemporary Chinese Culture, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, on 19 May 1998.