Dr Dongyang Li
Global Academic Fellow
Shandong University (SDU), Qingdao, China
College of Political Science and Public Administration
Degree: Doctor of Law in Political Theory
Honors & awards: National Scholarship (2022); University First-class Scholarship (2020,2022) .
Central China Normal University (CCNU), Wuhan, China
Institute for China Rural Studies, Department of Political Science Studies
Degree: Master of Law in Political Theory
Honors & awards: National Scholarship (2018); University Outstanding Graduate Student (2019); University First-class Scholarship (2016, 2017, 2018).
Shandong Agricultural University, Tai’an, China
College of Humanities and Law
Degree: Bachelor of Art & Bachelor of Law
Honors & awards: Merit Student of Shandong Province (2016), University Merit Student (2016); National Encouragement Scholarship (2013, 2014).
Researcher, A Comparison of Qian Mu and Liang Shu-ming’s Political View of Political Meritocracy, SDU 06/2020-06/2023
- Investigated the evolution and significance of the concept of meritocracy in the traditional period;
- Compared Qian Mu and Liang Shu-ming’s understanding of Chinese political meritocracy;
- Constructed the improved China’s political meritocracy approach.
Researcher, The effective mechanism to realize the rule of moral in rural governance based on a systematic investigation of “Moral Bank” in H viliage, Zhejiang Province,CCNU 03/2018-03/2019
- Investigated “Moral Bank”, a self-established moral governance organization in rural areas of Zhejiang Province;
- Analyzed the effective mechanism of moral governance in villages;
- Discussed the effectiveness and limit of the moral governance.
Researcher, Humanity- and Social Science Questionnaire Project by the Ministry of Civil Affairs, CCNU 07/2016-06/2019
- Investigated rural areas in Central China under the “Hundreds Villages & Ten Years’ Observation Project” by conducting field research for six times;
- Gained completed questionnaires and collaborated with other researchers to obtain 5000 valid samples each time;
- Co-authored advisory reports and handed over to the central government.
Researcher, The Oral History Project by the Institute for China Rural Studies at CCNU 07/2016-06/2019
- Interviewed the people at the age of 40 to 80 in villages in the Central China, and recorded over 100 hours materials with topics in the Agrarian Reform Movement, the Agricultural Cooperatives, traditional household system, publicity in village, and women’s life history;
- Transcribed recording and wrote a 20,000-word report illustrating land reform and two passages (over 200,000 words in total) about household system in ancient China, to be published by Tianjin People’s Publishing House.
- Dongyang Li, and Daniel A. Bell.“The Formation and Evolution of the Pre-Qin Political View of Political Meritocracy.” Confucius studies 1(2022): 28-41.
- Daniel A. Bell, and Dongyang Li. “A Comparison of Qian Mu and Liang Shu-ming’s Views on Democratic Meritocracy.” Journal of Nankai University (Philosophy and Social Science Edition) 5(2022): 168-180.
- Daniel A. Bell, and Dongyang Li. “De-Demonizing China: How Political Meritocracy can help.” Oriental Journal 4(2022): 102-112.
- Political Meritocracy
- Chinese studies