Professor Anne Cheung
DEPARTMENT OF LAW
Anne S.Y. Cheung is a law professor at the University of Hong Kong. She received her legal education at the University of Hong Kong (LLB), the University of Toronto (JD), University of London (LLM) and Stanford University (JSD). She has taught Media Law, and Law and Society. Her recent projects are on cyberbullying, and China’s social credit system. She has been a member of the Academic Advisory Council of the Humboldt Institute for Internet &Society, Berlin, Germany, Working Group on Data Regulation of Ada Lovelace Institute, London, UK. She is on the editorial board of the Privacy Studies Journal, Journal of Media Law, International Journal of Law in Context and Media & Arts Law Review.
- Freedom of Expression and Privacy
- Human Rights and Technology
- Self-Censorship and the Struggle for Press Freedom in Hong Kong (Kluwer International, 2003), refereed. 278 pages.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung and Rolf H. Weber (ed), Privacy and Legal Issues in Cloud Computing (2015; UK: Edward Elgar Pub.) 305pp.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Anne S.Y. Cheung, “Language” in Johannes Chan, SC and C.L. Lim, Law of the Hong Kong Constitution, 3rd Edition. Hong Kong, Sweet & Maxwell, 2021.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung and Yongxi Chen, “From Datafication to Data State: Making Sense of China’s Social Credit System and Its Implications”, Law & Social Inquiry. Cambridge University Press (2021) 1-35.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung, “Doxing and the Challenge to Legal Regulation: When Personal Data Becomes a Weapon”, in Bailey, Flynn & Henry (eds), The Emerald International Handbook of Technology Facilitated Violence and Abuse, Emerald Publishing (2021) 577-594.
- Jimmy Chia-Shin Hsu and Anne SY Cheung, “The Ultimate Test of Fidelity: Judicial Responses to Civil Disobedience in Hong Kong and Taiwan,” in B Jones (ed.) Democracy and Rule of Law in China’s Shadow, Hart Publishing (2021) 33-64.
- Anne SY Cheung, 淺談香港法院如何解決雙語法例的分歧, In: 湛樹基, 李劍雄, 《香港雙語法制: 語言與翻譯》, Hong Kong, HKU Press, 2019, 20-48.
- Anne SY Cheung and Wolfgang Schulz, “Reputation Protection on Online Rating Sites,” 21(2) Stanford Technology Law Review (2018) 310-340.
- Anne Cheung, “Moving beyond Consent for Citizen Science in Big Data Health Research,” 16(1) Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property (2018) 15-40.
- Mengtong Chen, Anne Shann Yue Cheung and Ko Ling Chan, “Doxing: What Adolescents Look for and Their Intentions,” 16(2) International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (2019) 218; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16020218.
- Chen QiQi, Lo Camilla K.M., Zhu Yuhong, Cheung Anne, Chan Ko Ling and Ip Patrick, “Family Poly-victimization and Cyberbullying among Adolescents in a Chinese School Sample,” 77 Child Abuse & Neglect (2018) 180–187.
- Yongxi Chen and Anne Cheung, “The Transparent Self under Big Data Profiling: Privacy and Chinese Legislation on the Social Credit System”, Vol. 12, No. 2 The Journal of Comparative Law (2017) 356-378.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung, Revisiting Privacy and Dignity: Online Shaming in the Global E-Village, 3(2) Laws (2014) 301-326.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung, Location Privacy: The Challenges of Mobile Service Devices 30 Computer Law & Security Review (2014) 41-54.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung, “An Evaluation of Personal Data Protection in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1995–2012),” 3 International Data Privacy Law (2013) 29-41.
- Anne S.Y. Cheung, “Exercising Freedom of Speech behind the Great Firewall: A Study of Judges’ and Lawyers’ Blogs in China,” 52 Harvard International Law Journal Online (2011) 250-288 (selected as the Feature Article of that issue).
- Chen Y.C., Cheung M.K., Cheung A.S.Y., WU T.H., Kao C.M., Wang C., YUAN G. and Cheng C.K.R., “AI-Assisted Criminal Sentencing of Drug Trafficking Cases: A Model for Combining Human and Algorithmic Legal Decision-Making”, Machine Lawyering Conference: Human Sovereignty and Machine Efficiency in the Law, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Jan 2021.
- Cheung A.S.Y., “From Data Subjects to Data Sovereigns: Addressing the Limits of Data Privacy in the Digital Era”, Data Sovereignty along the Digital Silk Road. Jan 2021.
- WU T.H., Kao C.M., Cheung A.S.Y., Cheung M.K., Wang C., Chen Y.C., YUAN G. and Cheng C.K.R., “Integrating Domain Knowledge in AI-Assisted Criminal Sentencing of Drug Trafficking Cases“, In: Serena Villata, Jakub Harašta, Petr Křemen, 33rd International Conference on Legal Knowledge and Information Systems (JURIX 2020). IOS Press, Dec 2020, vol. 334, 174-183.
- Cheung A.S.Y., “Data Protection in Times of Covid-19 – Comparative Perspectives in Europe and Beyond”, blogdroiteuropeen.com. 2020. (Publication Date: Sep 2020)
- Other than legal research, Professor Cheung’s interest is in Chinese literary writing. Her books of prose include 出走 (2012) and 白日夢 (2020).