Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong
Metaverse Dispute Resolution:
Navigating Conflicts & Harnessing Online Technologies
in the Digital Frontier
Monday, 12 June 2023, 1:00-2:00 PM
Join us on Zoom at: https://hku.zoom.us/j/98158829485
This seminar will explore the metaverse and its use cases while shedding light on potential disputes and resolution methods.
Potential topics to be covered:
• A clear definition of the metaverse and an exploration of its possibilities
• Real-life use cases for the metaverse, drawing from personal experiences with different metaverse worlds
• An in-depth examination of the types of disputes that might arise within the metaverse context
• A discussion of various dispute resolution methods potentially suitable for metaverse-related disputes
• An analysis of enforcement issues under the New York Convention, and how they apply to metaverse disputes
• A comprehensive understanding of ODR and its significance in the digital age
• An overview of the types of technical assistance available to parties in ODR
• Insights into the development of ODR in Hong Kong and its implications for the global ODR landscape
About the Speaker:
Elizabeth Chan is a Registered Foreign Lawyer (England and Wales) based in Hong Kong. She has worked in arbitration at Allen & Overy (Hong Kong), Three Crowns (London), and Herbert Smith Freehills (New York and Hong Kong). She specialises in international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration. She is ranked as a Future Leader of Who’s Who Legal Arbitration (2022-2023) and the Legal 500 Arbitration Private Practice Powerlist: UK 2022.
This event is co-hosted by LL.M. in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution.